1. Hardware
1.1. Requesting non-managed Windows PCs

Requesting non-managed Windows PCs

If you would like to request a non-managed “Windows Desktop/Laptop Computer”, you do not need to raise a request through TIS. Please email Carl Gibbs at Getech - cgibbs@getech.co.uk with regards to agreeing specification of the device to your requirements. Getech will respond to you with a quotation for the device. To progress, please raise an order with Agresso using the quotation.

1.2. Locking/Unlocking the controls on your Plymdesk 6 Philips Monitor.
How do I lock/unlock the controls on my PlymDesk 6 (Philips) monitor?

Locking the monitor controls ensures that settings cannot be changed.   

With the monitor switched on, press and hold the right hand button on your monitor panel for up to ten seconds. You will either get the message "Monitor controls locked" or "Monitor controls unlocked" on screen. The message will appear in the middle, in a black box.

1.3. iTunes U

iTunes U also allows anyone with an iPhone, iPad or iPod touch to learn from a large collection of free education content in public courses from leading schools, universities, museums and cultural institutions.

iTunes U is available at the University for some courses.

1.4. Health & Safety - Do I need a DSE Assessment?

All staff should complete the on-line DSE risk assessment once their new PlymDesk6 equipment is set-up.

Users of Display Screen Equipment should complete the on-line risk assessment checklist at



-      Receiving a new computer/laptop and/or screen

-      A change occurs in the work environment such as moving to a different office and/or desk

The local Safety Co-ordinator will have access to completed checklists in their area of responsibility but it will be up to local budget holder to action where necessary.  The local Safety Co-ordinator is responsible for sending summary DSE reports to the appropriate budget holder.
Information on obtaining peripheral equipment can be found here: How can I get extra "bits" for my leased fleet computer?
Click here to view the DSE Code of Practice document

Please note: there is a mandatory Health and Safety E-learning course for all staff which includes DSE.  If, as a result of completing the DSE course, you need to have a Display Screen Equipment Assessment, contact occupationalhealth@plymouth.ac.uk for advice.

1.5. University Policy on Switching off PCs
   Q:   Should I switch off my PC at night ?

Yes! To reduce overall energy consumption, it is recommended that staff shut down their desktop computers overnight and before going on leave. This will lower your carbon footprint and significantly reduce your departments' energy bill. For further details please read the attached "Switching off PCs Policy" document.

How can I be more energy efficient?
You can be even more energy efficient by putting your PC into “sleep” mode whenever you leave your desk for any length of time. Use this option to save power, especially if you prefer to leave your computer turned on for long periods of time. In sleep-mode, your computer is available for immediate use - just log on and your desktop is exactly the same way that you left it, including any programs that you were using.  Click on the Windows logo at the bottom-left of your screen, and select "Sleep" from the little menu to the right of "Shutdown". (There's a ">" arrow to the right of it).
Note 1: When in sleep-mode, information in memory is not saved to your hard disk. This means that if the computer loses power, any information that you did not save before the computer went into sleep is lost.  It's a good idea to save your work before putting the computer to sleep.
Note 2:  If your PC is in sleep-mode you may not be able to connect to it using the Remote Desktop Connection facility. If you need to connect remotely you should use the log-off option.
1.6. TurningPoint
TurningPoint enables an audience to use response devices to provide instant feedback to a speaker.

TurningPoint then gathers the responses and quickly translates the results into test scores, charts, and
graphs. It also can store the data for future reference.
TurningPoint smoothly integrates with PowerPoint to create a more interactive and memorable presentation.
TurningPoint is installed on all University lectern machines.
Below is a list of Personal Response Systems (PRS)  which may be borrowed (each set contains 60 PRS units and 1 receiver) , contact details of the holders and constraints of borrowing:
No. of sets, (60PRS & 1 receiver per set) Faculty/Directorate/Area Key Contact Constraint on usage
1 Kspa Lee Marshall PCMD owned but can be used by Faculty
2 Faculty of Science & Technology Karen Gresty Willing to loan if return is guaranteed
2 Digital Education Mark Lyndon
1.7. Requesting new or changing your PlymDesk equipment

Requesting new or changing your PlymDesk equipment

If you require a change to your PlymDesk equipment, or are preparing for the arrival of new staff, please follow the instructions below. Hardware requirements should be agreed with your local budget holder and/or Head of department.

Please then log on to IT Self Service (http://ITselfservice.plymouth.ac.uk) with your standard University login details, and click ‘Raise a request’. From the dropdown menu, choose ‘New PC / Laptop request’, and complete the required information.

Equipment Requested: The equipment you require. Please include peripherals required (monitor, mouse and keyboard, etc). Note, if you are requesting a laptop, please also confirm if you require a docking station and monitor. Laptops can be supplied with three configurations.

1. Laptop (no peripherals)

2. Laptop, docking station, Single Monitor, keyboard and mouse

3. Laptop, docking station, two monitors, keyboard and mouse.

Business Justification: A business case for why the equipment is needed.

Who is the equipment for? : Staff member’s name.

Start date: When will the staff member be starting? (note: short notice requests may not be met)

Type and duration of contract: The staff members employment term and contract that the computer will be for.

Location: Where the equipment will be set up.

Network Socket: The network socket code that the PC will be connected to. This is required before the PC is set up, so that we can ensure the socket is live.

Is this replacing existing equipment? : specify if there is existing equipment to be collected at the time of delivery and returned to stock.

If yes, please provide the asset number of the equipment being replaced: Please provide the serial number of the PC, which is located on a white label (on the lid of a laptop or the base unit of a desktop PC), so that we can update our records.

Department Code and Budget Code (work order): Although PlymDesk equipment is paid for centrally, this is needed for reporting purposes.

Approved by: The budgetary authority within the faculty/department approving the computer request.

NOTE: Evidence of line manager approval must be provided for all computer requests.  Requests will not be progressed unless they are either:

1. Sourced from a line manager, or

2. The request includes approval from a line manager (E.g email attached from the line manager)

1.8. Health & Safety Information for Home Working
The requirements of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 apply to employees working at home as well as to employees working at University accommodation.  Many of the health and safety issues around home-working are no different from those of conventional office working, including issues around the workstation, seating, display screen equipment (DSE), electrical wiring, lighting, heating, ventilation and slipping or tripping hazards.

It is the manager’s responsibility to ensure that work can be undertaken safely without compromising the health or safety of the worker or other persons at their home.

The home worker is responsible for day-to-day health and safety issues and for reporting any concerns to the manager.

Formal and Intermediate homeworkers must complete a VDU Workstation Checklist and a Generic Risk Assessment for Homeworking (further details can be found in Appendix B of the "Home working practical guidance..." link below). 

Guidance on Display Screen equipment can be found in the "DSE Code of Practice September 2011" document. 

"Home working practical guidance for Managers and Employees" can be found here:  Health and Safety issues are covered on page 5. 

For further information, advice and guidance please contact your Health and Safety Co-ordinator.


1.9. Information on laptop insurance required for travel, home and/or mobile working
Where equipment is either regularly or permanently used by employees at home the employee must arrange cover under their existing Household insurance policy, this is usually at no cost, however any additional costs may be reimbursed on the production of receipts by way of an expenses claim.  Employees must notify their home contents and buildings insurer(s) that they will be working from home to ensure that their house and contents insurance cover is not affected

Guidance regarding insurance cover for University owned laptops

Travelling with a University owned laptop

There is business equipment cover, as part of the University’s travel insurance policy, when the equipment is being used on a business trip but this is subject to an excess of £100.00. 

Please note:

  • There is cover for incidental travel alongside any business trip, which will include an additional day or two but any extended stay will not be covered. 
  • The travel policy will also exclude loss or damage sustained whilst the laptop is in the custody of an airline or other transport carrier unless reported immediately upon discovery and in the case of an airline, a property irregularity report obtained.
  • Under any insurance arrangement there has to be reasonable precautions taken to secure valuable equipment – for example it would not be considered reasonable precaution for this equipment to be left unattended on a train or other public transport.
  • Laptops must be kept in a secure place and not left unattended in a vehicle unless out of site in a locked boot, where they are left unattended in a room ideally they will be locked in a drawer or cupboard to provide additional security or the room will be locked with a limited number of key-holders.

Using a University owned laptop on or off campus

The University has an insurance policy providing cover for its computers/laptops but it is subject to an excess of £1,500.  Therefore, damage or loss to individual laptops will be excluded by this policy because the excess is too high. 

If an individual laptop is damaged or stolen, a claim may be submitted under the self-insurance scheme.  Approval of such claims is decided on a case by case basis and, as above, it has to be shown that there were reasonable precautions taken to care for and secure valuable equipment. 

Please note: if there is additional security provided for the laptop, e.g. security cables, they must be used.