HomeHome Most Helpful TopicsMost Helpful Topics
RSS Feeds
DrillDown Icon Contents
DrillDown Icon Library & IT Self-Help
DrillDown Icon Menu
DrillDown Icon Online Resources
DrillDown Icon Library and Digital Support
DrillDown Icon IT Services
DrillDown Icon Returning to the Office FAQ
DrillDown Icon Modern Authentication Troubleshooting
DrillDown Icon Supported Email clients
DrillDown Icon Information on new Microsoft security protections
DrillDown Icon Working From Home / Remote working
DrillDown Icon Support for Apple Computers
DrillDown Icon Windows 10 Upgrade
DrillDown Icon Single Sign-On
DrillDown Icon Web Filtering
DrillDown Icon Student Halls - using Gaming devices,SMART TV and Amazon Echo speakers
DrillDown Icon Mapping the PUPSMD 'R' drive to your computer
DrillDown Icon Re-imaging a computer or laptop
DrillDown Icon Mobile computing
DrillDown Icon Out of Hours Computing exam support
DrillDown Icon Staff Mac fleet
DrillDown Icon PlymMac 7
DrillDown Icon Windows 7 Service
DrillDown Icon Accounts
DrillDown Icon Applications
DrillDown Icon Hardware
DrillDown Icon Requesting non-managed Windows PCs
DrillDown Icon Your Philips Monitor - "Locked Control"
DrillDown Icon iTunes U
DrillDown Icon Health & Safety - Do I need a DSE Assessment?
DrillDown Icon Daily shutdown
DrillDown Icon TurningPoint
DrillDown Icon Requesting new or changing your PlymDesk equipment
DrillDown Icon Health & Safety information for Home Working
DrillDown Icon Insurance requirements for laptops for home/mobile working
DrillDown Icon IT Training & Documentation
DrillDown Icon Telephony
DrillDown Icon Web
DrillDown Icon PC Availability in Open Access Suites (PC Finder)
DrillDown Icon Staff Guidance Leaving the University
DrillDown Icon IT Service Catalogue
DrillDown Icon Digital Learning Environment (DLE)
  EMail This ArticlePrint PreviewPrint Preview Current Article/Category with all Sub-Articles/Sub-Categories
Information on laptop insurance required for travel, home and/or mobile working
Where equipment is either regularly or permanently used by employees at home the employee must arrange cover under their existing Household insurance policy, this is usually at no cost, however any additional costs may be reimbursed on the production of receipts by way of an expenses claim.  Employees must notify their home contents and buildings insurer(s) that they will be working from home to ensure that their house and contents insurance cover is not affected

Guidance regarding insurance cover for University owned laptops

Travelling with a University owned laptop

There is business equipment cover, as part of the University’s travel insurance policy, when the equipment is being used on a business trip but this is subject to an excess of £100.00. 

Please note:

  • There is cover for incidental travel alongside any business trip, which will include an additional day or two but any extended stay will not be covered. 
  • The travel policy will also exclude loss or damage sustained whilst the laptop is in the custody of an airline or other transport carrier unless reported immediately upon discovery and in the case of an airline, a property irregularity report obtained.
  • Under any insurance arrangement there has to be reasonable precautions taken to secure valuable equipment – for example it would not be considered reasonable precaution for this equipment to be left unattended on a train or other public transport.
  • Laptops must be kept in a secure place and not left unattended in a vehicle unless out of site in a locked boot, where they are left unattended in a room ideally they will be locked in a drawer or cupboard to provide additional security or the room will be locked with a limited number of key-holders.

Using a University owned laptop on or off campus

The University has an insurance policy providing cover for its computers/laptops but it is subject to an excess of £1,500.  Therefore, damage or loss to individual laptops will be excluded by this policy because the excess is too high. 

If an individual laptop is damaged or stolen, a claim may be submitted under the self-insurance scheme.  Approval of such claims is decided on a case by case basis and, as above, it has to be shown that there were reasonable precautions taken to care for and secure valuable equipment. 

Please note: if there is additional security provided for the laptop, e.g. security cables, they must be used.

Related Articles

Modified 13/09/2016